EPIC FM Conference Topics
New and Revolutionary Concepts in Hypertension:
An Integrative Approach with Nutritional Supplementation
Mark Houston, MD, MS, MSc, FACP, FAHA, FASH, FACN, ABAARM, FAARM, DABC
This lecture will review the underlying reasons for hypertension, review the pathophysiology, proper measurement techniques in the office, 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring, clinical and laboratory diagnosis, stratification of types of hypertension, and treatment with nutritional supplements and other integrative approaches.
- Understand the pathogenesis of hypertension and the role of vascular biology, the three finite vascular responses (inflammation, oxidative stress and vascular immune function), plasma renin activity (PRA) and aldosterone to select optimal integrative anti-hypertensive therapy to reduce BP and decrease CVD.
- Review diagnostic testing for hypertension: 24- hour ambulatory BP (ABM), central BP, augmentation index, endothelial function, plethysmography and arterial compliance testing, ECHO, carotid duplex, ABI, autonomic function testing, CPET.
- Be able to prioritize and personalize the most important nutrition, nutraceutical supplements and life style treatments for hypertension.
- Apply micronutrient testing in the treatment of hypertension.
- Know the most important cardiovascular drug-nutrient interactions
- Review, understand and apply optimal drug therapy for hypertension alone and combination with nutraceutical supplements.
What You Must Know About Memory Loss and How You Can Stop It
Pamela Wartian Smith, MD, MPH, MS
With over 77 million baby boomers living in the U.S., memory loss is quickly becoming a major issue. Although the common belief is that these irritating lapses in the ability to remember are a normal part of aging, current scientific research indicates otherwise. In fact, there are a number of reasons these lapses can occur. The good news is, that once we understand why, we can actually restore and even strengthen our mental acuity.
Dr. Smith will lead us in an interactive discussion of the four key components to help you maintain memory and focus at any age. You will also learn important tips that you can implement on Monday morning to maintain and achieve optimal health and wellness.
Problems with Randomized Studies & Litigation Driving Healthcare, Issues with the Women’s Health Initiative and the Vindication of Estrogen
Lindsey Berkson, MA, DC, CNS, DACBN
The Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) was one of the most influential studies to come out in women’s health in the last two decades. Collateral damage was that several generations of women missed out on hormonal therapies. This December 13th, at the yearly San Antonio breast cancer convention, 12 prestigious cancer centers presented a 19-year re-analysis of the WHI showing that, in fact, estrogen replacement in healthy women protects significantly against breast cancer.
There is even data now showing that hormonal therapies in breast cancer patients reduce risk of recurrence, mortality if recurrent, and reduction of all-cause mortality.
We will discuss the role of estrogens as anti-aging and anti-cancer tools throughout the last several decades coming into the present and how to use nutrition to keep estrogens acting safest.
We will go over the issues with the WHI, the new “estrogen” stance, the new theories of how estrogen does NOT fuel most breast cancer, even ER+, and the role of tumor initiating cells that are non-estrogen dependent in breast cancer.
We will talk about the new ERA of estrogen and hormonal therapies.
You will learn why, in today’s toxic world, hormone testing and treating needs to be redefined.
Contemporary life is dirty. The rain is dirty. Food and soil are replete with “endocrine disrupting compounds” so that we are seeing insufficiencies, deficiencies and resistances to hormonal signaling in younger and younger adults, not just peri, post or andropausal patients. This means that “hormonal consciousness” must now move to all patients, not just middle-aged. We will discuss how anxiety issues, PCOS, erectile dysfunction, are at epidemic proportions in younger and younger adults, and are offshoots of hormonal imbalances.
We will discuss the need for hormonal testing in all patients at most ages.
You will also learn about nutrients that protect hormones and the receptors they signal.
- What is not the final accepted outcome of estrogen therapies on healthy postmenopausal women?
- What are the main cells that drive breast cancer?
- What are significant tools that block cancer stem cells?
- What nutrient keeps hormone levels “Zen”?
- Which nutrient determines estrogen binding times?
- Critically evaluate randomized trials or headlines in women’s health